6.6.13

Strawberry- Grapefruit Breakfast Crumble


When I was growing up, my mom used to make baked grapefruit for breakfast. She would halve the grapefruit, sprinkle the halves with brown sugar, and bake them until the brown sugar was crusty, the grapefruit was warm and sweet and juicy, and it was DELICIOUS. I make baked grapefruit for breakfast fairly often. The burned fingers and juice EVERYWHERE is totally worth the yumminess. But this Sunday, I just wasn't in the mood for wrestling with a hot grapefruit for my breakfast. So I decided to do something a little different.


I searched my fridge and came up with strawberries and grapefruits. I searched my counter-top and came up with multi-grain granola. And I decided I could make something work here. The result was wonderful! Not very sweet at all (since it has no sugar in it, just a bit of honey), the warm fruit gave this a tart-sweetness that was very refreshing and lovely for a summer Sunday morning breakfast. My husband poured cream over his... and I did too, on my second helping, because it looked really good.



That does kind of negate the healthy factor, but oh is it good! Besides, cream is not refined sugar... perhaps it does have fat and calories, but it is at least not super-processed! =D

 I sliced my strawberries and grapefruit into fairly large chunks. (I sliced those grapefruit slices into quarters after the picture)


I tossed them with some spices (cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg) and a little flour and honey.


I spread them in a pan, and topped them with butter and granola.
And then I baked them for just long enough to melt the butter and soften the fruit (about 15 minutes).
Super easy, super yummy breakfast! So good with cream, or if you want to be a little healthier, yogurt.


Strawberry-Grapefruit Breakfast Crumble (printable recipe)

1/2 lb strawberries, thickly sliced
1 grapefruit, peeled and cut into chunks
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 pinch cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1Tb honey
2 Tb whole wheat flour (or regular flour)
3Tb butter
1c multi-grain granola (or any other granola, or mix of oats, nuts, seeds, etc)

Preheat oven to 400F (205C).
Toss fruit with spices, honey, and flour.
Cut butter up into small pieces and mix with granola, until mixture is crumbly.
Spread fruit out in pie pan (or small casserole dish).
Spread granola mixture over top of the fruit.
Bake for 15-20 minutes or until butter is melted and fruit is soft.
Serve with cream or yogurt for extra yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment