26.2.09

How Marvelous is Thy Handiwork....

literally.

Yesterday and the day before I was able to hang out at the Operating Theatre, and watch surgeries. How amazing is that?! NOW I have to figure out how to spread my time between school, shadowing a doctor, watching surgeries, and work (ehm, work= computer coding).

There were several surgeries yesterday and today, but the one that really was amazing was a hand repair. A guy came in with his hand chopped up... uhm, I'm not exaggerating. The tendons were cut in two different places... all of them.
Doctor Jim and Doctor Niles spent almost two hours carefully locating each part to each tendon, matching up the pieces, and sewing them together. Let me tell you, it does NOT look like that nice, clean, neat, obvious picture that's in my Anatomy textbook. How is one supposed to know if THIS particular thing is the tendon to the first finger?!

I was reading in Psalms the other day... you know that familiar verse that says I will give thanks to Thee for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... marvelous is Thy handiwork and that my soul knows right well. ... or something like that (I don't have a Bible in front of me).... Well, as I watched those doctors put a hand back together, that verse took on new meaning. Something as seemingly simple as a hand.... is not so very simple at all.

Then, yesterday I was able to actually scrub in and help with a surgery! ... and that was very cool.

4 comments:

  1. Danielle,
    Way to get in up to your elbows! Uncle Bryan got to observe surgeries in Africa back in the 1970's. Most memorable: emergency C-section! I don't think he ever got over not becoming a surgeon! You can do what ever you set your heart to...with God's help and guidance.
    Love you, Aunt Nettie Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  2. just websites... I do HTML, XHTML, SHTML, CSS and play around with PHP and Javascript.

    right now the main site I webmaster is the southpacificfamily site that's on the sidebar. *pokes sidebar*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I couldn't stand watching surgery, I don't mind seeing blood, but I don't think I could handle watching surgery. Someone has to do it, but that someone ain't me! You'll do great in the medical field!

    ReplyDelete